Enter the angular acceleration, and the radius of rotation into the calculator to determine the Tangential Acceleration.
- All Acceleration Calculators
- Angular Acceleration Calculator
- Average Acceleration Calculator
- Centripetal Acceleration Calculator
- Radial Acceleration Calculator
- Normal Component of Acceleration Calculator
- Linear Acceleration Calculator
Tangential Acceleration Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the Tangential Acceleration.
At = a*r
- Where At is the Tangential Acceleration (m/s^2)
- a is the angular acceleration (rad/s^2)
- r is the radius of rotation (m)
What are the units for Tangential Acceleration?
In the International System of Units, also known as SI units, the units for Tangential Acceleration are m/s^2.
How to Calculate Tangential Acceleration?
The following example problem outlines the steps and information needed to calculate the Tangential Acceleration.
First, determine the angular acceleration. In this example, the angular acceleration is calculated or measured to be 26 (rad/s^2).
Next, determine the radius of rotation. For this problem, the radius of rotation is determined to be 10 (m).
Finally, calculate the Tangential Acceleration using the formula above:
At = a*r
Inserting the values from above and solving the equation with the imputed values gives: At = 26*10 = 260 (m/s^2)