Enter the angular velocity and the radius into the calculator to determine the tangential velocity.
- All Velocity Calculators
- Velocity Calculator
- Angular Velocity Calculator
- Tangential Force Calculator
- Angular Acceleration Calculator
- Radial Velocity Calculator
- Angular Velocity To Linear Velocity Calculator
- Centripetal Velocity Calculator
Tangential Velocity Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the Tangential Velocity.
Vt = w * r
- Where Vt is the tangential velocity (m/s)
- w is the angular velocity (rad/s)
- r is the radius of rotation (m)
To calculate the tangential velocity, multiply the angular velocity by the radius of rotation.
What is a Tangential Velocity?
A tangential velocity measures the instantaneous linear speed of an object in rotational motion.
How to Calculate Tangential Velocity?
The following example outlines the steps and information needed to calculate Tangential Velocity.
First, determine the angular velocity. In this example, the angular velocity is 5 rad/s.
Next, determine the radius. For this problem, the radius is found to be 7 m.
Finally, calculate the Tangential Velocity using the formula above:
Vt = w * r
Vt = 5*7
Vt = 35 m/s