Enter the total resistance (ohms) and the total voltage (volts) into the calculator to determine the Total Current.
- All Electrical Calculators
- Current Calculator
- Series Current Calculator
- Parallel Current Calculator
- 3 Phase Current Calculator
- Branch Current Calculator
Total Current Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Total Current.
IT = VT/RT
- Where IT is the Total Current (amps)
- VT is the total resistance (ohms)
- RT is the total voltage (volts)
To calculate total current, divide the total resistance and by the total voltage.
How to Calculate Total Current?
The following two example problems outline how to calculate the Total Current.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the total resistance (ohms). In this example, the total resistance (ohms) is measured to be 500.
- Next, determine the total voltage (volts). For this problem, the total voltage (volts) is calculated to be 12.
- Finally, calculate the Total Current using the formula above:
IT = VT/RT
Inserting the values from above and solving the equation with the imputed values gives:
IT = 12/500 = .024 (amps)
Example Problem #2:
Using the same process as example problem 1, we first define the variables outlined by the formula. In this case, the values are:
total resistance (ohms) = 600
total voltage (volts) = 15
Entering these values into the formula above gives :
IT = 15/600 = .025 (amps)