Enter the total number adults and children in the household to estimate your average monthly groceries cost.
- Food Cost Percentage Calculator
- Food Budget Calculator
- Service Charge Calculator
- Utilities Cost Per Month Calculator
- Prime Rib Cost Per Pound Calculator
- Personal Trainer Cost Per Hour Calculator
- Turkey Cost Per Pound Calculator
- Wedding Cost Per Person Calculator
Average Groceries Cost Per Month Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the average household groceries cost. .
FC = #A*$345 +#C*$135
- Where FC is the average groceries cost per month
- #A is the number of adults in the household
- #C is the number of children in the household
What is the Average Groceries Cost Per Month?
The average monthly grocery bill for one person ranges from $165 to $345, depending on age. The USDA estimates that a family of two will spend between $380 and $770 per month on groceries, while a family of four can expect to pay between $640 and $1,500.
These estimates are based on what consumers in the U.S. actually pay for food at home, which the USDA reports is about 6% of income.
The median household income in the U.S. is about $63,000 per year, which means the average American spends about $450 per month on food at home.
The USDA calculates the cost of groceries based on age groups and household size. Their data shows that families with a single adult tend to have lower grocery bills than larger households; however, single adults under 31 have higher grocery expenses than older ones (likely because many younger adults live with their parents).