Enter the specific heat capacity, dynamic viscosity, and thermal conductivity into the calculator to determine the Prandtl number.
- Nusselt Number Calculator
- Specific Heat Calculator
- Thermal Conductivity Calculator (heat flux)
- Disturbance Factor (Steam Blowing) Calculator
Prandtl Number Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Prandtl number of a system.
P = n * Cp / Tc
- Where P is the Prandtl number
- n is the dynamic viscosity (kg*m^-1*s^-1)
- Cp is the specific heat capacity (J*kg^-1*K^-1)
- Tc is the thermal conductivity (W*m^-1*K^-1)
To calculate the Prandtl number, multiply the dynamic viscosity by the heat capacity, then divide by the thermal conductivity.
Prandtl Number Definition
A Prandtl number is a ratio of the momentum of diffusivity to thermal diffusivity.
Prandtl Number Example
How to calculate Prandtl number?
- First, determine the dynamic viscosity.
Calculate the dynamic viscosity.
- Next, determine the specific heat capacity.
Calculate specific heat capacity.
- Next, determine the thermal conductivity.
Calculate the thermal conductivity.
- Finally, calculate the Prandtl number.
Calculate the Prandtl number using the formula above.
The Prandtl number is a ratio of momentum diffusivity to thermal diffusivity.
Momentum diffusivity is the measure of a fluid’s resistance to movement. In other words, another way of say viscosity.