Enter the specific heat capacity, dynamic viscosity, and thermal conductivity into the calculator to determine the Prandtl number.
Prandtl Number Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Prandtl number of a system.
P = n * Cp / Tc
- Where P is the Prandtl number
- n is the dynamic viscosity (kg*m^-1*s^-1)
- Cp is the specific heat capacity (J*kg^-1*K^-1)
- Tc is the thermal conductivity (W*m^-1*K^-1)
Prandtl Number Definition
A Prandtl number is a ratio of the momentum of diffusivity to thermal diffusivity.
Prandtl Number Example
How to calculate Prandtl number?
- First, determine the dynamic viscosity.
Calculate the dynamic viscosity.
- Next, determine the specific heat capacity.
Calculate specific heat capacity.
- Next, determine the thermal conductivity.
Calculate the thermal conductivity.
- Finally, calculate the Prandtl number.
Calculate the Prandtl number using the formula above.
The Prandtl number is a ratio of momentum diffusivity to thermal diffusivity.
Momentum diffusivity is the measure of a fluid’s resistance to movement. In other words, another way of say viscosity.