Enter the running speed (mph) and the heart rate (BPM) into the calculator to determine the Running Efficiency.
- All Efficiency Calculators
- Cadence (Running) Calculator
- Steps Per Minute Calculator
- Time Efficiency Calculator
Running Efficiency Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Running Efficiency.
Er = S / HR
- Where Er is the Running Efficiency (mph/BPM)
- S is the running speed (mph)
- HR is the heart rate (BPM)
How to Calculate Running Efficiency?
The following two example problems outline how to calculate the Running Efficiency.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the running speed (mph). In this example, the running speed (mph) is given as 3.85.
- Next, determine the heart rate (BPM). For this problem, the heart rate (BPM) is given as 150.
- Finally, calculate the Running Efficiency using the equation above:
Er = S / HR
Inserting the values from above and solving the equation:
Er = 3.85 / 150 = .0256 (mph/BPM)
Example Problem #2:
Using the same process as above, first define the variables required by the formula. In this case, these values are:
running speed (mph) = 3.45
heart rate (BPM) = 145
Entering these values yields:
Er = 3.45 /145 = .0237 (mph/BPM)