Enter the total cost of utilities for the year into the calculator to determine the average cost per month and week for utilities.
- Gas Cost Per Month Calculator
- Car Insurance Cost Per Month Calculator
- Average Groceries Cost Per Month Calculator
- Rent Increase Calculator
- Health Insurance Cost Per Month Calculator
- Wedding Cost Per Person Calculator
- Cost Per Degree of Heating Calculator
- Cost of Energy Calculator
- Total Rent Calculator
Utilities Cost Per Month Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the Utilities Cost Per Month.
MUC = YC / 12
DUC = YC / 365
- Where MUC is the average monthly utilities cost ($/month)
- DUC is the average daily utilities cost ($/day)
- YC is the yearly utilities cost ($/year)
What is the Average Utilities Cost Per Month ?
The average cost of utilities per month is about $200.00 for the typical family of four in the United States. That runs to about $2,400.00 per year.
Utilities include electricity, heating oil, natural gas, propane, and water. This figure is based on surveys performed by the U.S. government and reports made by utility companies in various locations around the country.
The average cost of utilities varies greatly depending on your location, the size of your home, and the number of people who live in it. The total expenses you spend in a given month will vary significantly on how much energy you use and how much energy is included in your plan.
For example, if you live alone with no pets and don’t have central air conditioning or access to natural gas, then all of your utility costs will be electricity-related. If you live with multiple people and have all of the things mentioned above, your utility bills will be higher.
When budgeting for utilities, remember always to include a buffer for any unexpected costs. It’s best to assume that you’ll need more money than what you’ve budgeted for because utilities are never quite as efficient as you think they’ll be.