Enter the visual size and the distance into the Visual Angle Calculator. The calculator will evaluate the Visual Angle.
Visual Angle Formula
The following two example problems outline the steps and information needed to calculate the Visual Angle.
VA = atan (S/D)
- VA is the Visual Angle (degrees)
- S is the visual size
- D is the distance
How to Calculate Visual Angle?
The following steps outline how to calculate the Visual Angle.
- First, determine the visual size.
- Next, determine the distance.
- Next, gather the formula from above = VA = atan (S/D).
- Finally, calculate the Visual Angle.
- After inserting the variables and calculating the result, check your answer with the calculator above.
Example Problem :
Use the following variables as an example problem to test your knowledge.
visual size = 30
distance = 20
VA = atan (S/D) = ?