Enter the total depth under the surface of water and select whether the water is fresh water or saltwater. The calculate will evaluate and display the water pressure.
- Water Flow Rate Calculator
- Density of Water Calculator
- Boiling Point Calculator (Water)
- Water Potential Calculator
Water Pressure Formula
The following formula can be used to calculate the water pressure an object sees at a given depth.
P = p*g*h
- Where P is the water pressure
- p is the density of the fluid
- g is the acceleration due to gravity
- h is the depth of the object in water
For fresh water, the density is 997.0474 kg/m^3
For salt water, the density is 1023.6 kg/m^3
Water Pressure Definition
Water pressure is the total pressure acting on an object in submerged water that arises from the water density and force of gravity.
Water Pressure Example
How to calculate water pressure?
- First, determine the density of the water.
Determine if the water is fresh water or salt water.
- Next, determine the depth of the object.
Determine the total depth the object is submerged at.
- Finally, calculate the water pressure.
Use the equation above to calculate the water pressure.
Water pressure, also known as hydro static pressure, is the pressure and object sees while submerged in water due to the weight of the water around it.
The pressure is different because the salt water is more dense than fresh water and so weighs more per unit volume.
This is a constant 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth. This value would be different on other planets.