Enter the mean and standard deviations of the positive and negative controls to determine the Z-factor.
Z Factor Formula
The following formula is used to calculate a Z factor.
Zf = 1 – [ 3*(σp + σn)/|μp – μn| ]
- Where Zf is the Z-factor
- μ are the means of the positive and negative controls
- σ are the standard deviations of the positive and negative controls
Z Factor Definition
Z factor, which is not the same as a z-score, is a measure of the statistical effect size.
Z Factor Example
How to calculate a z-factor?
- First, determine the the means.
Calculate the means of the positive and negative controls.
- Next, determine the standard deviations.
Calculate the standard deviations of the same positive and negative controls.
- Finally, calculate the z factor.
Calculate the z factor using the equation above.
A z-factor is a measure of whether the response in a specific assay is large enough to warrant further attention.
|z factor calculator|
|z factor formula|
|how to calculate az factor|