Enter the initial stock price and the stock price after the 1st period into the calculator to determine the capital gains yield.
- Market Capitalization Calculator
- Stock Calculator (Profit Calculator)
- Yield To Maturity Calculator
- Invested Capital Calculator
- RSI (Relative Strength Index) Calculator
Capital Gains Yield Formula
The following equation can be used to calculate the capital gains yield of a security.
CGY = (Pf – Pi) / Pi *100
- Where CGY is the capital gains yield (%)
- Pi is the initial stock price
- Pf is the final stock price
Capital Gains Yield Definition
A capital gains yield is the total gain or increase in the price of a stock over time.
Capital Gains Yield Example
How to calculate capital gains yield?
- First, determine the initial stock price.
Calculate the initial price of the stock.
- Next, determine the final stock price.
Calculate the final price of the stock after some time period.
- Finally, calculate the capital gains yield.
Calculate the capital gains yield using the equation above.
A capital gains yield is the change in the price of a stock or security. It’s a measure of the total gain a particular stock undergoes during a certain time period.
The average market return over time has been roughly 7-10% per year. Any capital gains that exceed this value are considered a success.