Enter the refractive index in medium 1 and the refractive index in the medium 2 into the calculator. The calculator will evaluate and display the critical angle.
Critical Angle Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the critical angle through two mediums.
αc = sin-1(n2 / n1)
- Where Ac is the critical angle
- n1 is the refractive index in medium 1
- n2 is the refractive index in medium 2
Critical Angle Definition
A critical angle is the angle is an angle described by snells law that is a measure of the refraction of light through different mediums.
Critical Angle Example
How to calculate a critical angle?
- First, determine the refractive index of medium 1.
Measure or calculate the refractive index of the first medium.
- Next, determine the refractive index of medium 2.
Measure or calculate the refractive index of the second medium.
- Finally, calculate the critical angle.
Using the the formula above calculate the critical angle.
A critical angle is the angle between the light that travels through two different mediums.