Enter the axle ratio, transmission gear ratio, and transfer case ratio into the calculator to determine the final drive ratio.
- Gear Reduction Calculator
- Bike Speed Calculator
- Torque Calculator
- Rocker Arm Ratio Calculator
- Rod Ratio Calculator
- Airboat Prop Speed Calculator
Final Drive Ratio Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the final drive ratio of a car.
DR = AR * TR * TCR
- Where DR is the drive ratio (ratio :1)
- AR is the axle ratio : 1
- TR is the transmission gear ratio : 1
- TCR is the transfer case ratio : 1
Final Drive Ratio Definition
A final drive ratio is defined as the final ratio between the engine rpm to the wheel rpm of a car or vehicle.
Final Drive Ratio Example
How to calculate the final drive ratio?
- First, determine the axel ratio.
For this example we will say the axel ratio is 5:1.
- Next, determine the transmission ratio.
For this example the transmission ratio is 2:1.
- Next, determine the transfer case ratio.
For this example and most cases this is 1:1 on the high end.
- Finally, calculate the final drive ratio.
Using the equation above we find the drive ratio to be 10:1
A final drive ratio is the ratio of the RPM of an engine to the RPM delivered to the wheels of a vehicle.