Enter the total number of recombinant gametes and the total number of gametes into the Genetic Distance Calculator. The calculator will evaluate and display the Genetic Distance.
- All Distance Calculators
- Stopping Sight Distance Calculator
- Transformation Efficiency Calculator
- Image Distance Calculator
Genetic Distance Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Genetic Distance.
GD = RG / G
- Where GD is the Genetic Distance
- #RG is the total number of recombinant gametes
- #G is the total number of gametes
To calculate the genetic distance, divide the number of recombinant gametes by the total number of gametes.
How to Calculate Genetic Distance?
The following example problems outline how to calculate Genetic Distance.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the total number of recombinant gametes.
- The total number of recombinant gametes is given as: 140.
- Next, determine the total number of gametes.
- The total number of gametes is provided as: 250.
- Finally, calculate the Genetic Distance using the equation above:
GD = #RG / #G
The values given above are inserted into the equation below and the solution is calculated:
GD = 140 / 250 = .56
Example Problem #2:
For this problem, the variables needed are provided below:
total number of recombinant gametes = 7
total number of gametes = 51
This example problem is a test of your knowledge on the subject. Use the calculator above to check your answer.
GD = #RG / #G = ?