Enter the total elevation gain and the total horizontal distance traveled from trailhead to summit to calculate the average hill grade.
- Percent Slope Calculator
- Steps to Miles Calculator
- Steps to Calories Calculator
- Treadmill Elevation Gain Calculator
- Pack Weight Calculator
Hill Grade Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the percentage hill grade of a trail or hike.
G = EG / HD *100
- Where G is the hill grade %
- EG is the elevation gain (ft/m/ect.)
- HD is the horizontal straight line distance from head to the summit
Hill Grade Definition
A hill grade is defined as the percentage of slope on average of a certain hiking trail.
Hill Grade Example
How to calculate a hill grade?
- First, determine the elevation gain.
Calculate the total vertical elevation gain from the trailhead to the end of the hike or the summit.
- Next, determine the horizontal distance.
Calculate the straight-line horizontal distance from the trailhead to the end of the hike.
- Finally, calculate the hill grade.
Calculate the percentage hill grade using the formula above.
A hill grade is a measure of the difficulty of a hike using the percentage of slope on average.