Enter the volume or mass of both the solute and the solution into the calculator to determine the percent solution. This calculator can evaluate the amount of solute or solution if the other variables are known.
- Molar Concentration Calculator
- Percent Volume Calculator
- Molarity Dilution Calculator
- Percent Mixture Calculator
- Percent Solids In Slurry Calculator
Percent Solution Formula
The following formula is used to calculate a percent solution:
%S = Solute/Solution * 100
- Where %S is the percent solution by mass or volume
- The solute is the mass or volume of the solute
- The solution is the mass or volume of the solution
Note that the solute and solution measurements must be the same unit i.e. mass or volume.
To calculate the percent concentration of the solution, divide the solute mass or volume by the solution mass or volume, then multiply the result by 100.
Percent Solution Definition
A percent solution is defined as the total percentage of a solution in mass or volume that a solute takes up. In other words the ratio of solute to the solution of a mixture.
How to calculate a percent solution?
- First, determine the units you wish to use. For this example, we will look at the percent by mass.
- Next, determine the mass of the solute. For this example, the mass of the solute is 10g.
- Next, determine the mass of the solution. For this example, the mass of the solution is 100g.
- Finally, calculate the percent solution using the formula: 10g/100g * 100 = 10% of the solution by mass.
A percent solution is a measure of the ratio of mass or volume of a solute to the overall solution.
A 5 percent solution means that a solute makes up 5% of the total solution by either mass or volume.
A volume percent is a ratio of volumes of solute to the solution, while a mass percent is a ratio of mass. Typically they can be closer in value because the densities of the solute and solution are fairly close.