Enter the volume or mass of both the solute and the solution into the calculator to determine the percent solution.
Percent Solution Formula
The following formula is used to calculate a percent solution:
%S = Solute/Solution * 100
- Where %S is the percent solution by mass or volume
- Solute is the mass or volume of the solute
- Solution is the mass or volume of the solution
Note that the solute and solution measurements must be the same unit i.e. mass or volume.
Percent Solution Definition
A percent solution is defined as the total percentage of a solution in mass or volume that a solute takes up. In other words the ratio of solute to solution of a mixture.
How to calculate a percent solution?
- First, determine the units you wish to use. For this example, we will look at the percent by mass.
- Next, determine the mass of the solute. For this example, the mass of the solute is 10g.
- Next, determine the mass of the solution. For this example, the mass of the solution is 100g.
- Finally, calculate the percent solution using the formula: 10g/100g * 100 = 10% of the solution by mass.
A percent solution is a measure of the ratio of mass or volume of a solute to the overall solution.
A 5 percent solution means that a solute makes up 5% of the total solution by either mass or volume.
A volume percent is a ratio of volumes of solute to solution, while a mass percent is a ratio of mass. Typically they can be closer in value because the densities of the solute and solution are fairly close.