Enter the input force and the output force into the calculator to determine the actual mechanical advantage.
- Pulley Weight Calculator
- Mechanical Advantage Calculator (Lever)
- Mechanical Energy Calculator
- Net Work Calculator (Physics)
- Rocker Arm Ratio Calculator
- Lever Force Calculator
- Output Force Calculator
The following formula is used to calculate an actual mechanical advantage.
AMA = Fo / Fi
- Where AMA is the actual mechanical advantage
- Fo is the output force
- Fi is the input force
AMA, short for actual mechanical advantage, is a measure of the ratio of output force to input force of a mechanical system such as a pulley.
How to calculate an actual mechanical advantage.
- First, determine input force.
Measure the input force that is being put into the system. For this example, we will say the system is a pulley system and the input force is 40N.
- Next, determine the output force.
Measure the output force of the system. The pulley generates 100N of force from the 40 N input force.
- Finally, calculate the actual mechanical advantage.
Using the formula we can find the actual mechanical advantage is 100 / 40 = 2.5.
AMA is an acronym in physics that stands for actual mechanical advantage. It’s a measure of how much advantage is gained from a mechanical system with respect to an input and output force.