Enter the distance of an object and the height of an object. The calculator will evaluate and display the angle of elevation. This calculator assumes a flat distance and does not take into account the curve of the earth.
- Lead Angle Calculator
- DMS Calculator (Degrees, Minutes, Seconds)
- Reference Angle Calculator
- Angle of Depression Calculator
- Ladder Angle Calculator
- Vertical Exaggeration Calculator
- Incline Plane Force Calculator
Angle of Elevation Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the angle of elevation of an object as seen by an observer.
AoE = atan(h/d)
- Where AoE is the angle of elevation
- h is the height
- d is the distance
To calculate an angle of elevation, take the inverse tangent of the height over the distance.
It’s important to keep in mind that the height and distance units need to be the same.
Angle of Elevation Definition
An angle of elevation is a term used to describe the angle of an object with respect to the surface or ground.
Angle of Elevation Example
How to calculate angle of elevation?
- First, determine the height.
Measure the total height from the surface.
- Next, determine the distance.
Measure the total horizontal distance from the reference point.
- Finally, calculate the angle of elevation.
Calculate the angle of elevation using the formula above.
An angle of elevation is the angle of a slope as measure from the x-axis.