Enter the coefficient of heat transfer, total area, and temperature differential into the calculator to determine the heat loss.
- Thermal Conductivity Calculator (heat flux)
- Specific Heat Calculator
- Thermal Efficiency Calculator
- Heat Dissipation Calculator
- COP (Coefficient of Performance Calculator)
- LMTD (Logarithmic Mean Temperature Difference) Calculator
Heat Loss Formula
The following formula is used to calculate heat loss.
q = (U * A) * DT
- Where q is the heat loss
- U is the heat transfer coefficient
- A is the area
- DT is the temperature difference between the inside and outside
Heat Loss Definition
Heat loss is defined as the total energy lost to the transfer of heat between a hotter surface and a colder ambient area.
Heat Loss Example
How to calculate heat loss?
- First, determine the heat transfer coefficient.
This will typically be a combination of conductive, convective, and radiative heat transfer.
- Next determine the area.
Measure the total surface area that heat can be transferred through.
- Next, determine the temperature differential.
Measure the difference in temperature between the inside and outside spaces.
- Finally, calculate the heat loss.
Using the formula and information above, calculate the heat loss.
Heat loss is a measure of the total heat transfer through a surface from an inside hotter section to a cooler outside section, hence the term “loss”.