Enter the antenna height into the calculator to determine the line of sight distance and service range of the antenna.
- Antenna Gain Calculator
- Dipole Antenna Calculator – Length | Formula
- Wavelength Calculator
- Bandwidth Calculator
Line of Sight Formula
The following equations can be used to calculate the line of sight and service range distance of an antenna.
LOS = 3.57 * SQRT ( h)
SR = 4.12 * SQRT (h)
- Where LOS is the line of sight distance (km)
- SR is the service range (km)
- h is the antenna height (m)
Line of Sight Definition
A line of sight is defined as the distance on the horizon that an object of some height can “see” with a direct line.
Line of Sight Example
How to calculate service range and line of sight?
- First, determine the height.
Measure the height of the antenna.
- Next, calculate the line of sight.
Calculate the line of sight using the equation above.
- Finally, calculate the service range.
Calculate the service range using the formula above.
A line of sight is the distance to the horizon an object can “see” from its position. The taller the antenna the taller the line of sight.
A service rand is a similar distance to line of sight but takes into account the extra bit of range acquired from bouncing radio waves.