Enter the ultimate force and the cross-sectional area into the calculator to determine the tensile strength. This calculator can also evaluate the ultimate force or area if the other variables are known.
- Yield Strength Calculator
- Bending Stress Calculator
- Factor of Safety Calculator
- Punching Force Calculator
Tensile Strength Formula
The following formula is used to calculate a tensile strength.
TS = UF / A
- Where TS is the tensile strength
- UF is the ultimate force
- A is the cross sectional area the force is acting on
To calculate tensile strength, divide the ultimate force and the cross-sectional area the force is acting on.
Tensile Strength Definition
Tensile strength is the maximum amount of tensile stress an object can withstand without see permanent deformation.
Tensile Strength Example
How to calculate the tensile strength?
- First, determine the ultimate force.
Measure the ultimate force.
- Next, determine the area.
Measure the cross-sectional area.
- Finally, calculate the tensile strength.
Calculate the tensile strength using the equation above.
Tensile strength is the maximum amount of tensile stress an object can withstand before breaking or yielding. These are sometimess referred to as the ultimate strength.
Tensile stress is the stress caused by two forces pulling in opposite directions on an object.