Calculate your earned run average using this ERA calculator. Enter the earned runs, innings pitched, and game innings to determine your ERA.
What is ERA?
Earned run average is a measure in baseball, softball, and cricket used to determine how good a pitcher is. In short, it’s a ratio or runs (minus runs due to errors), innings pitched, and outs pitched. The less runs the less ERA a pitcher will have.
Inning Per Sport
- Baseball = 9 Innings
- Softball = 7 Innings
- Cricket = 1 or 2 Innings
ERA = (earned runs / innings pitched) * game innings
- Where earned runs is equal to total runs – runs due to errors
- Innings pitched is total innings pitched
- game innings is the total innings in a game
We will now go over an example of calculating the ERA for a pitcher.
- First, we need to determine the total earned runs of the pitcher. As mentioned previously, this does not include runs due to errors. That is runs that occurred because of a teammate making an error such as dropping a ball. For this example we will assume the total runs to be 5 runs.
- Next, we need to determine the total innings pitched. Innings not pitched in, such as when a reliever comes. For this example our pitcher pitched 6 innings.
- Determine what sport you are playing and determine the total innings in the game. For this, we are assuming it’s baseball, so the innings is 9.
- Finally enter all the values into the formula
ERA = (5/ 6) * 9 = 7.50
That’s not a terribly good ERA for a starting pitcher in the MLB. For reference the lead ERA in the MLB for the year 2018 was 1.89. This is much lower than the 7.50 above. An ERA this high would likely get you cut from the team!
|how to calculate era|
|how do you calculate era|
|how to figure era|
|how to calculate era in baseball|
|earned run average calculator|
|baseball era calculator|
|how to figure out era|
|how to calculate earned run average|
|era calculator 7 innings|
|softball era calculator|
|earned run average formula|
|earned run calculator|
|how to calculate era in softball|
|how to figure era in baseball|
|how do you calculate era in baseball|
|how to calculate era in mlb|
|how do you calculate earned run average|
|how do you figure era|
|era calculation formula|
|baseball era formula|
|era calculator 9 innings|
|to find a baseball pitcher’s earned run average|
|how to figure earned run average|
|how do you figure out era|
|how to figure era in softball|
|how to compute era|
|pitching era calculator|
|how is baseball era calculated|
|how is a pitcher’s era calculated|
|how to compute era in baseball|
|how is era figured|
|how do you calculate a pitcher’s era|
|how calculate era|
|how to determine era in baseball|
|how do you figure era in baseball|
|how to calculate a pitcher’s era|
|era baseball calculation|
|how is era calculated in mlb|
|how to figure out era in baseball|
|how do you figure earned run average|
|figure out era|
|equation for era|
|how do you figure a pitcher’s era|
|era calculator 6 innings|
|how do u calculate era|
|how to figure out era in softball|
|how to calculate earned runs|