Select a nutrient from the drop-down box and enter the quantity into the calculator to determine the percent daily value (%DV).
The following formula is used to calculate a percentage daily value of a nutrient.
PDV = TC / DV *100
- Where PDV is the percentage of the recommended daily amount of a nutrient someone has consumed.
- TC is the total amount of the nutrient consumed
- DV is the recommended daily value
To calculate a percent daily value, divide the total amount of nutrient consumed by the recommended daily value, then multiply by 100.
Percent Daily Value Definition
A percent daily value, or %DV for short, is a term used to describe the ratio, in terms of a percent, of the total amount of a nutrient someone has consumed with respect to the recommended daily amount.
Recommended Daily Nutrient Values
The following table outlines the current recommended daily values of common nutrients.
How to calculate %DV?
- First, determine the total recommended daily value.
For this example, we are looking at carbohydrates, which have a recommended daily value of 275g.
- Next, determine the total amount consumed.
In this case, the person has consumed 300 grams of carbohydrates.
- Finally, calculate the percentage daily value.
Using the formula above, the percent daily value is calculated as:
%DV = TC/DV *100
%DV = 300/275 *100
%DV = %109.1